The Legality of Vacation Rentals
- The homes that are the most ideal for shortterm renting tend to have a lot of inns and tourism. These areas often have certain statutes pertaining to short-term rental.
- Short term leasing is less than a month.( nightly, weekly)
- Make sure you talk to a property director or even the city itself, to find out the laws on vacation properties in that particular area.
- You need a place with either a long or more than one peak season.
Cape Cod: a popular vacation spot in the summer that has no peak in any other time
Lake Tahoe: Two peak seasons, summer and winter.
Florida Keys: long summer season
Track Record of Success
- These areas have tons of vacation homes that have already been booked and reviewed.
- This is how to establish an idea of what other people are saying about a certain field/ community
- Buy a property in an area people desire
- Less work for you
- Great Property at Fair Price
I typically look for steals when finding a property, but if you crave your daydream vacation home in the right field, then you are going to look for a great property at a fair cost.
Purchase the property with a traditional lend process: Real property agent, mortgage, paperwork.
Harder to find creative bargains
- You can own a vacation home and not feel like you are wasting money.
- It is an investment. It can supplement your income
- Book it for yourselves for a free vacation
- Traditional Mortgage
- Cost to furnish/ upgrade
- Balance your vacations.
The peak weekends( Holidays, Labor Day) construct the most money so you may want to give those up to renters.
- Tenant’s not taking care of the house
- Put a property director in place to answer all inquiries on vacation home
- Put property on Airbnb or Homeaway
- Pick a nice home in a nice neighborhood to attract the right renters
- Remember there will be extra expenses
- Crank up the marketing
- Take professional photos/ videos
- Little things make a big difference- bikes, hottub, etc